If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (203) 452-7781

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Cooking Fire Prevention

1/28/2022 (Permalink)

Cooking and kitchen fires account for thousands of residential fires every year.  That trend continues to be accurate throughout Fairfield County as well.  We respond to these types of fires very often.  We’ll give you some of the reasons that these fires occur, and how to take steps to reduce your risk of them happening in your home.

Cooking Appliances - Unmaintained appliances are a leading cause of kitchen fires in Fairfield County. Loose or frayed wires, improper use, and food left unattended can all cause appliances to be the start of a cooking fire.

Excess Oil or Grease - Some people will attempt to use too much oil or grease when they cook, which can lead to bodily harm and grease fires.  When not properly dealt with, these fires can be hard to put out and may spread very quickly.  

Spills - When food particles from earlier cooking fall under burners or to the bottom of the oven, they can spontaneously combust, starting a fire.  These flames will develop quickly, and can lead to serious damage.

Tips for prevention:

  • Unplug countertop appliances when they are not being used. Inspect cords periodically.
  • Never stray too far from the kitchen while you are cooking.
  • Check the oven while in use, and use a timer so you don't forget food that could potentially burn and ignite.
  • Use an appropriate amount of oil and grease.
  • Keep flammable items away from cooking areas, and routinely remove old food particles from the area.
  • Keep children a solid distance from the kitchen, for their own safety, and so they cannot accidentally cause a fire.

It is important to contact a fire damage restoration professional as soon as the flames are extinguished to help limit and remediate the damage. SERVPRO of Trumbull, Monroe & Northern Bridgeport has over 30 years of experience working with people who have had fire damage to their property.  If you have any type of fire or smoke damage, call us immediately at 203.324.1642.

Other News

View Recent Posts